Our Precious Ethan Carter

Ethan Carter Lane was born on March 12, 2010, perfectly healthy except for a rare congenital heart defect (Supravalvular Aortic Stenosis and Supravalvular Pulmonic Stenosis) that has been passed down through the generations in my family. His sister, Emily (born November 22, 2004), has the same defect. She had two cardiac catheterizations with balloon angioplastys and open-heart surgery, all before the age of one. She is a happy, energetic little girl who has never been sickly (you would never even know she has a heart defect) and has an incredible future. Her little brother Ethan was expected to follow a similar course. He was a "normal baby"... he never looked or acted sick, never struggled, never let us know just how severe his heart defect really was. On June 4, 2010, at two months and three weeks of age, Ethan underwent his first procedure--- a cardiac catheterization with balloon angioplasty. Only they never started the actual procedure. When someone is put under general anesthesia, their blood pressure drops. When the doctors put our precious Ethan under, his heart could not handle the drop in blood pressure. He went into sudden, unexpected cardiac arrest, and teams of doctors tried everything they knew to save him. But, Jesus did the saving that day in His Own special way... and Ethan went to live forever in Heaven. This blog is simply one mother working through her grief and reconciling a Loving God with One Who allows us to suffer the loss of a child. It is also one mother wanting the world to know about her incredibly special son--- and the God Who loves him.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Another Mother Speaks My Heart

Would you read a post from one of the mamas I found after Ethan went to Heaven?

You can find it at: www.babygirlbutcher.blogspot.com

The writing of Annabelle's Mama often brings tears to my eyes, and many times, I think, "That's me! That's me!" as I am reading.

I just read her post from yesterday entitled "Just a Week Away", and I can identify with it so much. Although no two situations are exactly the same, and there are differences in our stories, she is speaking my heart.

I'm not sure Josh and I are out of the shock phase yet...

but, oh, her words pierce me.

When she talks about not knowing how to celebrate her precious Annabelle's birthday... Ethan's First Birthday is fast approaching, and like a freight train.

And her words pierce me when she says, "The reality of it is that my daughter died and I want to feel the void that she leaves in my heart."

My son died, and I want to feel the void that he leaves in my heart.

Rebecca, how grateful I am that we have been given Eternity with them.

And I'm looking forward to Ethan introducing me to your Annabelle one day.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so sorry about the loss of you BEAUTIFUL baby boy Ethan, I too, know loss, my Naomi Hope died June 1, 2009, was born April 27, 2009 at 28 weeks due to severe preeclampsia. She lived 35 days, and at the end got very very ill with staph auresis and phenomia. big hugs, and I am here if you ever want to speak or write me, or just need to vent or cry. Shorty13ynature@aol.com 954 297 9560. God Bless You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Jill. Your Naomi is beautiful. And may God bless and keep you, as well. Hugs to you, Friend.

    ReplyDelete