Our Precious Ethan Carter

Ethan Carter Lane was born on March 12, 2010, perfectly healthy except for a rare congenital heart defect (Supravalvular Aortic Stenosis and Supravalvular Pulmonic Stenosis) that has been passed down through the generations in my family. His sister, Emily (born November 22, 2004), has the same defect. She had two cardiac catheterizations with balloon angioplastys and open-heart surgery, all before the age of one. She is a happy, energetic little girl who has never been sickly (you would never even know she has a heart defect) and has an incredible future. Her little brother Ethan was expected to follow a similar course. He was a "normal baby"... he never looked or acted sick, never struggled, never let us know just how severe his heart defect really was. On June 4, 2010, at two months and three weeks of age, Ethan underwent his first procedure--- a cardiac catheterization with balloon angioplasty. Only they never started the actual procedure. When someone is put under general anesthesia, their blood pressure drops. When the doctors put our precious Ethan under, his heart could not handle the drop in blood pressure. He went into sudden, unexpected cardiac arrest, and teams of doctors tried everything they knew to save him. But, Jesus did the saving that day in His Own special way... and Ethan went to live forever in Heaven. This blog is simply one mother working through her grief and reconciling a Loving God with One Who allows us to suffer the loss of a child. It is also one mother wanting the world to know about her incredibly special son--- and the God Who loves him.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Another Day Closer

I pulled up to a green light today and stopped as if it were a red light... and then sat there for a couple of minutes before I realized it.

Sometimes I can't remember where I'm going or how to get there. I struggled for a long time to remember how to get to our local Walmart yesterday... the same one we go to several times a week.

I forget to do important things such as pay bills... even when I have just talked about needing to do them moments before.

As the days tick by without my son, I struggle to keep functioning.

We were going to take down Ethan's pack-n-play today. Although we are leaving almost all of Ethan's things intact/untouched, such as his nursery, Josh and I thought it made sense to get the pack-n-play out of the kitchen/family room and put it away to keep it nice.

But then Emily started bawling and begging us to keep it up--- forever.

She said it reminds her of Ethan and that it is where he used to lay, and that she misses him so bad.

I told Josh that just as we want Ethan's nursery and other things kept the same, we need to let her have things she needs kept the same.

I know some would encourage us not to do this (thinking it will increase our pain or that it "isn't healthy"), but all I can say is we can't imagine doing anything else. His nursery is his nursery... and it would cause us more pain to put his things away as if it isn't.

We are obviously still finding our way on this path of grief, and know we will be for the rest of our lives. I am learning you do what you need to do just to make it through the day. And each day I make it through is another day closer to seeing my son again.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Bryanne..I feel your heartache..even though it was my husband who passed away and not a child, I had these same feelings....don't feel like you are on some sort of timetable for putting up Ethan's things..you will know when the time is right and doing it to soon will cause more hurt...trust me..I barely survived that first year-only by the grace of God..He too holds you in his hands...hang on to Him...contact me even if you just need to cry/talk...I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Deborah... I love you so much...

    ReplyDelete