Our Precious Ethan Carter

Ethan Carter Lane was born on March 12, 2010, perfectly healthy except for a rare congenital heart defect (Supravalvular Aortic Stenosis and Supravalvular Pulmonic Stenosis) that has been passed down through the generations in my family. His sister, Emily (born November 22, 2004), has the same defect. She had two cardiac catheterizations with balloon angioplastys and open-heart surgery, all before the age of one. She is a happy, energetic little girl who has never been sickly (you would never even know she has a heart defect) and has an incredible future. Her little brother Ethan was expected to follow a similar course. He was a "normal baby"... he never looked or acted sick, never struggled, never let us know just how severe his heart defect really was. On June 4, 2010, at two months and three weeks of age, Ethan underwent his first procedure--- a cardiac catheterization with balloon angioplasty. Only they never started the actual procedure. When someone is put under general anesthesia, their blood pressure drops. When the doctors put our precious Ethan under, his heart could not handle the drop in blood pressure. He went into sudden, unexpected cardiac arrest, and teams of doctors tried everything they knew to save him. But, Jesus did the saving that day in His Own special way... and Ethan went to live forever in Heaven. This blog is simply one mother working through her grief and reconciling a Loving God with One Who allows us to suffer the loss of a child. It is also one mother wanting the world to know about her incredibly special son--- and the God Who loves him.

Monday, July 5, 2010

A Letter to My Son

My Sweet, Sweet Ethan,

Your Sissy is fast asleep, and your Daddy is in bed, too.

I close my eyes and all I can see is your face... your big, beautiful, trusting eyes looking up at me the way they did every day of your life.

When I handed you over to the nurses outside the Cath Lab, you trusted me.

After you passed away, I felt like I had handed you over to your death.

I still feel that way.

I wonder constantly what your Daddy and I and the doctors could have done differently.

Knowing God allowed your death does not change my need to question.

And I think He understands that.

Your Sissy had her first swimming lesson today. She has always been a "water baby", and you made it clear the two times you got to go in the pool you were going to be one, too.

Her first baseball game of the season is tomorrow night, and we can tell she is going to do more than just sit in the grass and pick her nose this year (like she did when she was three!). She and her coach's daughter are the only two girls on the team, and we think it's really cute. Daddy was going to coach your team one day. All those baseball outfits you wore were his idea!

Oh, Ethan, there are so many things I want to tell you...

But, most of all, I want to tell you what I told you as Daddy, Sissy and I walked you to the Cath Lab that morning--- the last thing I said to you, and I repeated it over and over again:

I love you and it is a privilege to be your Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment