Our Precious Ethan Carter

Ethan Carter Lane was born on March 12, 2010, perfectly healthy except for a rare congenital heart defect (Supravalvular Aortic Stenosis and Supravalvular Pulmonic Stenosis) that has been passed down through the generations in my family. His sister, Emily (born November 22, 2004), has the same defect. She had two cardiac catheterizations with balloon angioplastys and open-heart surgery, all before the age of one. She is a happy, energetic little girl who has never been sickly (you would never even know she has a heart defect) and has an incredible future. Her little brother Ethan was expected to follow a similar course. He was a "normal baby"... he never looked or acted sick, never struggled, never let us know just how severe his heart defect really was. On June 4, 2010, at two months and three weeks of age, Ethan underwent his first procedure--- a cardiac catheterization with balloon angioplasty. Only they never started the actual procedure. When someone is put under general anesthesia, their blood pressure drops. When the doctors put our precious Ethan under, his heart could not handle the drop in blood pressure. He went into sudden, unexpected cardiac arrest, and teams of doctors tried everything they knew to save him. But, Jesus did the saving that day in His Own special way... and Ethan went to live forever in Heaven. This blog is simply one mother working through her grief and reconciling a Loving God with One Who allows us to suffer the loss of a child. It is also one mother wanting the world to know about her incredibly special son--- and the God Who loves him.

Monday, July 12, 2010

One Year Ago Today


(Ethan was seven weeks old in this picture.)

Today is July 12th. It was this day last year I found out I was pregnant with Ethan.

And today we ordered the marker for his grave.

Two days ago, I celebrated my 31st Birthday. As I stood over my son's grave with my family, I couldn't help but think how the past year was both the best and worst year of my life.

The best because I had my husband and my two children.

The worst because I then buried one of them.

I told my mom tonight that my whole life is now divided into two categories: "Before" and "After".

Before my son died, and After my son died.

Last July 12th was before my son died. I took a pregnancy test after evening church and Josh and I were downright giddy at the results. We felt pure joy that God had blessed us with another life. And we certainly never took it for granted.

Still, we had no idea just how wonderful that life would be! What a beautiful, extraordinary son we would have.

We also had no idea we would stand over his grave less than a year later... that the same baby who grew in my womb would now be in the ground.

Ethan was a special, special little boy.

I choose to remember July 12th not as the day we ordered the marker for his grave, but as the day we found out he was going to be ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment